Technology can help businesses to become more versatile, efficient, and agile. However, knowing which technologies are beneficial can be a challenge for many small businesses. It’s critical that any investment results in operational improvements with a manageable transition period.
The following ideas and examples will help your business to focus on the most rewarding technologies.
Improve the Financial Process
- Take invoices online to reduce costs and increase convenience for customers.
- File taxes online to save time and ensure accuracy.
- Embrace eCommerce and sell products and services online. The addressable market is vast.
- Reduce costs by looking for open source or cloud-based alternatives to traditional software.
Focus on Productivity
- Use project and task management software to streamline workflow.
- Use time tracking and adherence tools to improve efficiency and accountability.
- Digitize paper files to make them easier to store and access.
- Design an incoming message and email management process to stay on top of communications.
- Share files and important documents in the cloud with services from Google and Microsoft.
- Share files locally through a company intranet or network storage device.
- Web conference or voice chat instead of wasting time in meeting rooms.
- Use team messaging and collaboration services like Slack or Microsoft Teams.
Improve Customer Service
- Create an online portal for client scheduling. It’s faster and more convenient.
- Create an online knowledge base, or a messaging or ticketing system for customer self-service.
- Reach out to customers on social media to maintain brand presence and engagement.
- Use online surveys or product feedback pages to learn more and improve products/services.
- Use cloud-based or remote access productivity software for a mobile office.
- Allow some staff to work from home to reduce operating costs
- Research smartphone apps and services that could be used in your business.
- Deploy a remote desktop solution to access office computers from home or on the road.
Technology Can Change the Way You Do Business
Some businesses misunderstand and misuse technology. The aim is always to increase efficiency and productivity, for a reasonable cost and with little interruption during the transition. The above examples are some of the best starting points to help you improve and grow your business this year.